Skip to main content

Rhetoric and Exercise

Rhetoric is far more intertwined within society than I could have ever expected it to be. I am looking for rhetoric everywhere I look, whether it's the news or at a department store. One thing I particularity found interesting was on how we can use it to sway people to exercise more.. Many people may know that I am trying to become a Physical Education Teacher, and it is part of my job to motivate young adults to adopt healthy behaviors for life. If I learn how to use rhetoric effectively than I am almost guaranteed to sway these young adults to achieve there health goals. Approaching rhetoric with Pathos is a method to pull emotion into why it is important to build healthy habits like exercise, and why achieving your body shape goals are achievable through hard work.

Comments

  1. As a business major, I too can see how rhetoric is so heavily involved within the business world. Knowing more and more about rhetoric can also help anyone in life communicate more effectively.

    P.S Good luck! Keep doing what you're doing, living a healthy and happy life is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that rhetoric when it comes to weight loss can become a touchy subject. I think it is important to promote healthy lifestyles and it is definitely something that should be more widespread. It is when it comes to celebrities that this can become dangerous. Many may be familiar with the slim tea products that were constantly promoted by the Kardashians. When you have such a young, impressionable audience it becomes dangerous to promote such harmful products. I think its great that you want to explore promoting healthier options for young adults and I hope that you can change the negative connotations when it comes to weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you achieve your goal. I think you are doing some good in the world. When it comes to exercising many people find it hard to do and hopefully you can find a fun and helpful way to exercise

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Charlie Rose Interview-- Thank You for Smoking

Just before the movie  Thank You for Smoking  was released, Charlie Rose (PBS) interviewed Christopher Buckley (the author of the original book), Jason Reitman (the script writer and director of the movie), David Sacks (who produced the movie, his first), and Aaron Eckhardt (the actor who played Nick Naylor). I find this interview interesting for a variety of reasons, some of which I will detail here. 1.  Buckley notes that Reitman had been screening the movie at college campuses across the country. Reitman recalls one particular showing at the University of California at Berkeley, which he says is an intimidating place to screen a "libertarian film" (more on that later).  During the Q & A session (after the film), one older lady stood up and starting berating him for not going after Big Tobacco for doing such evil things.  And the students starting booing her until she shut up.  Reitman is quite pleased with that response.  Why? 2.  El...

Media and Rhetoric

Now that our eyes have been opened to rhetoric I have begun to notice how rhetoric is used everywhere. I tend to specifically notice rhetoric in media, really just advertisements. Many advertisements will use a rhetorical appeal to build and construct arguments to sway consumers to pursue and purchase whatever product or service the company is selling. With advertisements in media, it's a bit different than the rhetoric we have been studying in class, in-class we only really see rhetoric in say a court setting, or someone talking to a group of people with there full attention. But with advertisements people aren't usually paying close attention to them, so ad companies have to find a way to get the important information across, while grabbing, and keeping, the attention of the consumer, all while within a thirty second to a couple minute time frame. So what advertisements are, is a simple version of rhetoric where a company is trying to convince masses to purchase whatever the...