Skip to main content

Freshman year

I can't believe its the last week before finals! I feel like this semester went by really fast. I hope everyone enjoyed their classes and made lots of new friends. My first year at BSU was amazing. I got to experience new things and make a new name for myself. I was very sad when we had to leave campus early due to the virus. I made so many new friends and it was hard to leave them all. Ball State is my new home and I am ready to go back. I hope everyone had a good first year and is ready to have fun when we go back!!

Comments

  1. I would agree the semester went by very fast. Its great to read that people are excited and happy about their school experiences especially as a freshman. Even with all of the virus news its nice to see people with a more positive mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this year went super fast as well. It was very sad having to change to all online and leave campus. Hopefully everything will be back to normal by the fall that way we can all get back and be with our friends! I hope you are staying healthy and safe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rhetoric and Exercise

Rhetoric is far more intertwined within society than I could have ever expected it to be. I am looking for rhetoric everywhere I look, whether it's the news or at a department store. One thing I particularity found interesting was on how we can use it to sway people to exercise more.. Many people may know that I am trying to become a Physical Education Teacher, and it is part of my job to motivate young adults to adopt healthy behaviors for life. If I learn how to use rhetoric effectively than I am almost guaranteed to sway these young adults to achieve there health goals. Approaching rhetoric with Pathos is a method to pull emotion into why it is important to build healthy habits like exercise, and why achieving your body shape goals are achievable through hard work.

Charlie Rose Interview-- Thank You for Smoking

Just before the movie  Thank You for Smoking  was released, Charlie Rose (PBS) interviewed Christopher Buckley (the author of the original book), Jason Reitman (the script writer and director of the movie), David Sacks (who produced the movie, his first), and Aaron Eckhardt (the actor who played Nick Naylor). I find this interview interesting for a variety of reasons, some of which I will detail here. 1.  Buckley notes that Reitman had been screening the movie at college campuses across the country. Reitman recalls one particular showing at the University of California at Berkeley, which he says is an intimidating place to screen a "libertarian film" (more on that later).  During the Q & A session (after the film), one older lady stood up and starting berating him for not going after Big Tobacco for doing such evil things.  And the students starting booing her until she shut up.  Reitman is quite pleased with that response.  Why? 2.  El...

Media and Rhetoric

Now that our eyes have been opened to rhetoric I have begun to notice how rhetoric is used everywhere. I tend to specifically notice rhetoric in media, really just advertisements. Many advertisements will use a rhetorical appeal to build and construct arguments to sway consumers to pursue and purchase whatever product or service the company is selling. With advertisements in media, it's a bit different than the rhetoric we have been studying in class, in-class we only really see rhetoric in say a court setting, or someone talking to a group of people with there full attention. But with advertisements people aren't usually paying close attention to them, so ad companies have to find a way to get the important information across, while grabbing, and keeping, the attention of the consumer, all while within a thirty second to a couple minute time frame. So what advertisements are, is a simple version of rhetoric where a company is trying to convince masses to purchase whatever the...